Just in case you needed another excuse to jump on a plane and start exploring the big world…Diego Batista, an international student at the University of Limerick shares 12 compelling reasons why every student should travel…
Hello everybody! Or, dia dhuit a dhaoine uaisle! My last few months studying abroad have been AMAZING! I’m writing this in Sofia, Bulgaria and remembering all the places I’ve travelled while living in Ireland. I hope that by sharing what I have seen, you will be inspired to expand your horizons and see the world! So, without further ado, here’s 12 answers to the big question… why travel?
1. It’s easier than you think – Travelling should not be hard. And everyone should do it at least once in their lives. With so many apps and websites that offer free advice, there’s no reason a trip can’t be organised with ease. As a student at an Irish University, there are endless amounts of resources, like discounts and packages aimed specifically at offering ways and means to travel on a student budget. Check your campus facilities for information.
2. It opens your eyes – Travel will simply make you a well-rounded human being. Which is really the goal, isn’t it?
3. To discover yourself – Traveling can come with challenges, but it can also present opportunities. By overcoming challenges and grabbing hold of opportunities, you can discover parts of your personality you never knew were there.
4. It will create meaningful relationships – People you meet on the road usually become some of the most valued ones in your address book. These friends can give insight into a new culture and offer a new perspective on life. And, as a bonus, you’ll always have somewhere local to stay when you travel!
5. To develop new skills – The satisfaction you get when reaching the top of a mountain, or crossing a gorge, or helping a villager clean up after a storm, or simply getting what you wanted at restaurant in Istanbul – all these adventures and successes will allow you to access skill sets you didn’t know you had.
6. To learn new languages – Have you ever wanted to throw a few Greek words around in casual conversation? Or be able to confidently say bonjour and merci when ordering a croissant at a French bakery? When you travel, you get to use the vocabulary and grammar outside of school context. You won’t believe how much more it will mean when you’re not reciting phrases of a foreign language in a classroom setting.
7. To gain perspective – When you meet people from other cultures, you will see the world through a different perspective. Every culture has their own way of living life and different people will have different values. Seeing these various ways of living and thinking can bring a healthy dose of reality to your personal perspective.
8. For education – Seeing the world for yourself provides a totally different form of education that you couldn’t possibly get in the classroom. It adds real-life value to your studies of economics, politics, history, geography, and sociology.
9. To challenge yourself – Is getting your daily Starbucks not nearly interesting enough for you? How about finding a Starbucks address in Prague? Or trying to use the keyboard in an internet café in Bulgaria? BELIEVE ME, IT CAN BE HARD! Travel is full of unexpected challenges. Overcoming the challenges will give you some of the greatest joys you can give yourself.
10. To make dreams come true – You’ve probably dreamt of travelling many times. Well, guess what? Now’s the time to DO it. Go out there and make your dreams a reality!
11. To collect adventurous stories – Don’t fancy yourself a storyteller? If anyone asks “why travel” at a party, you’ll be able to tell them exactly what it’s worth with one of the many stories you’ll come home with. Some stories, like doing your laundry at a laundromat in Berlin, might seem trivial at the time, but they will become immeasurable experiences when nostalgia sets in.
12. To prove to yourself that you can – If you’re the kind of person who dreams big (simply by reading this website, you’ve proven that you are), you probably like new challenges. Finishing a trip gives you the satisfaction that you were able to accomplish what you set out to do. It gives you energy and inspiration to continue pursuing your dreams.
So, why travel? Because you can make your dreams come true!