Ana Rodriguez Fontan is a Spanish Erasmus student at University of Limerick, Ireland. Here she shares her packing tips for a semester in Ireland!
As I already said in my bio, it is not my first time here in Ireland. This is the reason why I thought I knew how cold and rainy this country is. However, maybe the warm summer temperatures in Spain while I was packing confused me because I was completely wrong: Ireland is much colder and rainier than what I remembered. So, here I come again with some things I regret not bringing to Ireland. Don’t forget to write them down because I’m sure you will also need them!
1. My first recommendation is something that I actually brought. However, many of my friends didn’t, and no matter how hard i try, I don’t understand how could they forgot it. Ireland is a very rainy country. Here in Limerick it rains almost everyday, so if you don’t want to get wet, bring an UMBRELLA with you. Moreover, I didn’t bring my water boots and I bought some here for the pouring days.
2. Don’t misunderstand me, there is nothing wrong with me and the Irish weather hahaha but Ireland is also quite cold. When I was packing all my clothes back in Spain, I thought that with one raincoat and a coat I was going to be fine. Nevertheless, a month ago I asked my mum to send me a package with one more big coat. It is something you will use everyday and it is worth leaving some trousers or shoes back at home and leave that space in the suitcase for another coat. Moreover, my advice is that a light raincoat won´t help you much here. You don’t just need to keep yourself dry but also warm!
3. Oh! Before I forget! In my mum’s package there were also my gloves, a scarf, and a wool cap. Very useful and recommendable!
4. I am not a very sporty person, however, as soon as I came here and saw the UL Sport Arena I wanted to start exercising. I did not bring with me any sport clothes and I have to buy here everything (swimsuit, trainers, leggings, sport bra,..). Be prepared and don’t let the same thing happen to you!
5. Before every party we usually meet in someone’s house to hang out and play games. I will strongly recommend everyone to bring speakers to listen music and table games such as cards. You will have great nights!
6. Although I am not homesick at all, it is always good to have pictures of your friends and family in your room. I wish I would have brought some… but I had to print them in ULs library.
Nonetheless, Limerick has lots of shops where you can find all these things I just said so, don’t worry if you don’t have space in your suitcase when coming here and you have to leave something behind… you will have time here to go shopping!
Interested in studying in Ireland? Let us send you more information!